Monday, September 28, 2009

Going to the Orchard

Oakwood is about 20 minutes from our house. I use to go here with the kindergardeners every fall for our first field trip.

Nothing like a brisk day and shiny apples to take home.
The backdrop is almost as beautiful as the bounty.
Gourds of many colors.


Indian corn waiting for
a good home.












My sister and I took our Mom to
the orchard. She said she remembers
taking me when I was One year old
after a big wind. They were picking
up 'wind fall' apples for free back then.

Maybe we should have waited till tomorrow.
40 mph winds are expected here.






Doing a brisk business on a nice Fall day.














Here is the operation on a Sunday.
It is fascinating how they wash, separate the seconds, shine them all up, and package them
for shipping. The kids always got a kick out of the giant coolers with apple boxes stacked to the ceilings.



No comments: